Ginning | Cotton Ginning Process | Types of Ginning
Ginning | Cotton Ginning Process | Types of Ginning: Cotton Ginning is that the process of extrication of the cotton fibers from the cotton seeds. Perfect ginning operation would be achieved if the parting of fibers from seed was affected without the least injury to either seeds or to the fiber. A gin could be a machine that rapidly and simply splits the cotton fibers from the seeds, employment previously done by hand. These seeds are either used once more to grow more cotton or, if badly damaged, are disposed of. It usages a combination of a wire screen and little wire hooks to slog the cotton through the screen, while brushes unceasingly eliminate the loose cotton lint to stop jams. The word “gin” is an abbreviation for engine, and means “machine”.
Objectives of Ginning
- The extraction of the fiber from the seed.
- The removal of the naps and wastage in some extents.
- The collection of the seed and seedless cotton fiber distinctly.
- To distinct the cotton fiber from the root position of the seeds.
Types of Ginning
Earlier to the introduction of Modern Machinery, ginning was performed manually or by machines of a embryonic character such as the “Foot Roller” and its development the “Churka”.
As the cotton industry advanced, greater production than these were capable of was essential, and machines driven by power were familiarized. Many forms of gins have been tried, but at the current time only three are used to any large extent. They are
- Macarthy Gin
- Knife Roller Gin / Roller Gin
- Saw Gin
There are three types of macarthy ginning
- First type is “Single acting Macarthy Gin”
- Second type is “Double acting Macarthy Gin”
- Third type is “Double roller Macarthy Gin / Double Roller Gin”
Common faults of Ginning:
- Most of the time fiber are broken at the middle position so that causes fibers shorter in length.
- Sometimes crush seed remain with the cotton.
- The neps are formed in cotton.
- Residual unnecessary trash in the cotton.
- Residual fibres with seed.
You may also like??