Sewing line balancing| How to balance line in sewing
In this article , garment merchandising will discuss Sewing line balancing| How to balance line in sewing. What is line? You’ll define the road as “group of individuals working under one supervision” . Line Balancing is levelling the workload across all processes in an exceedingly cell or value stream to get rid of bottlenecks and excess capacity. A constraint slows the method down and results if looking ahead to downstream operations and excess capacity ends up in waiting and absorption of fixed costs.
It is the allocation of stitching machine, in line with style and style of the clothes. It depends on what varieties of garments we’ve to provide. it’s done to increasing productivity.
When you consider production, garments are produced in lines or set of machines rather than single machine. A line could also be line, modular line or section, a line set with online finishing and packing. A line includes multiple work stations with diverse work contents. Production per hour is diverse counting on work content (standard minutes of particular task/operation), distribution of total manpower to a selected operation, operator skill level and machine capacity. Operation with lowest production per hour is termed as bottleneck operation for that line.
Objectives of Line Balancing
Match the assembly rate in any case wastes are removed to the talk time at each process of the worth stream.
1. Steady material flow.
2. A Maximum uses of man power and machine capacity.
3. Least process time.
4. Reducing slack time.
5. Reducing workstation.
6. Highest output at the specified time.
7. Quality preservation of the garment.
8. Reduce cost.
Importance of Line Balancing
- Line balancing supports to grasp about new machine required for brand new
- It becomes easier to allocate specific job to every
- It becomes possible to transport goods at right time at the agreed quality for list cost.
- Good line balancing upsurge the speed of production.
- Line balancing supports to match the desired machinery with the prevailing one and equate balance.
- It also helps within the determination of labor requirement
- Good balancing shrinks production time.
- Profit of a factory will be guaranteed by proper line balancing.
- Proper line balancing guaranteed optimum production at the decided quality.
- It shrinks faults within the finished product.
Limitations of Line Balancing
1. Production lines were designed so conveyor belts paced the speed of the workers‟ work. This arrangement wasn’t valued by the staff.
2. Unavoidable changes result in production lines being out of balance.
3. Re balancing origin’s disturbances to production
Production Line Balancing
Line-balancing strategy is to form production lines flexible enough to soak up external and internal irregularities. There are two styles of line balancing, which we’ve got explained as –
- Static Balance – States to long-term differences in capacity over a period of several hours or longer. Static imbalance ends up in undervaluation of workstations, machines and other people.
- Dynamic Balance – States to short-term differences in capacity, like, over a period of minutes, hours at the most. Dynamic imbalance arises from product mix changes and variations in time period unrelated to product mix.
While balancing equipment, try and make sure that every bit of kit within the work cell has the identical amount of labor. Now days every manufacturer is attempting to maximise the employment of all available equipment’s. Such high utilization is commonly counterproductive and will be the incorrect goal because; high utilization is sometimes in the middle of high inventory.
A failure could be a major serious matter, with the potential to pack up a mechanical system. To avoid such failures one mustn’t overload the equipment’s, and workers should be skilled to perform a daily machine checking (preventive maintenance) and following standard operating procedures. The advantage for Maintenance and Engineering Department doesn’t lye in running late shifts, hence analyze the preventive maintenance time and schedule the activity.
Analysis is mostly done by Competent Technical Staff. Instigate the analysis with division of production-line work into small tasks, determination of task time standards, specification of compulsory task sequencing and notation of restraints. If bottle neck task is within the way of excellent balance, the Competent Technical Staff should analyze the task to scale back the time it takes to perform.
Line Balancing Leadership
Workmen should lead the assembly line balancing effort, so they’ll react quickly when line imbalances (static and dynamic) take place as results of changeover to form a distinct item or changes within the output rate.
Benefits of Line Balancing
1. Reduce waiting waste
Waiting waste is one amongst the 8 kinds of waste of Lean manufacturing. It refers to any idle time that happens when operations don’t seem to be fully synchronized. as an example, waiting waste occurs when operators are watching for materials or for somebody else to finish their task. Equipment downtime–time during which equipment isn’t operating–is another example of waiting waste.
Line balancing ensures that each one operator and machines work together in a very balanced fashion. No operator or machine should be overworked or idle. By reducing downtime, line balancing decreases waiting waste.
2. Reduce inventory waste
Inventory waste is another kind of waste. It corresponds to a more than raw materials; add progress (unfinished goods) or finished goods. Inventory waste indicates incompetent allocation of capital.
Line balancing standardizes production, meaning it’s much easier to avoid build-ups or surplus inventory. By plummeting idle time, line balancing guarantees that there’s minimum add progress. And eventually, by bringing production time closer to Tact time, it assurances on-time delivery.
3. Absorb internal and external irregularities
Line balancing decreases variations within a mechanical system. A balanced mechanical system is stable and versatile enough to adapt to changes.
For example, if customer demands changes–meaning Tact time changes–operations is realigned quickly through line balancing. The results of changes dropped at a balanced mechanical system are predictable. it’s thus much easier to change the road to regulate the assembly rate.
4. Reduce production costs and increase profits
Perfect line balancing ends up in workers and machines that perform in a very fully coordinated manner. No operator is acquired standing idle. All machines are accustomed their full potential. In other words, manpower and machine capacity are maximized. Such process efficiency represents fewer costs and more profits.
you may also Like