What is Value stream mapping?
What is Value stream mapping? Purpose of value stream mapping? What Is Value? Value Stream Process Steps
What is VSM ???
Special type of flow chart that uses symbols known as “the language of Lean” to depict and improve the flow of inventory and information.
Purpose of value stream mapping
Provide optimum value to the customer through a complete value creation process with minimum waste in:
- Design (concept to customer)
- Build (order to delivery)
- Sustain (in-use through life cycle to service)
Why value stream mapping is necessary?
- Many organizations pursuing “lean” conversions have realized that improvement events alone are not enough
- Improvement events create localized improvements, value stream mapping & analysis strengthens the gains by providing vision and plans that connect all improvement activities
- Value stream mapping & analysis is a tool that allows you to see waste, and plan to eliminate it
What Is Value?
- A capability provided to a customer
- Of the highest quality,
- At the right time,
- At an appropriate price,
- as defined by the customer.
“Value” is what the customer is buying
Value Stream Process Steps
- Gather data and develop current state
- Develop future state and action plan
- Execute to plan
Value Stream Process
Step 1 – Prepare
- Gather Preparatory Information
- Document the Case for Chang
- Define the Scope (start and end of process)
- Identify the Requirements
- Review/establish Measurements
- Set Logistics for Event
Step 2 – Gather Data (Develop Current State)
- Observe and gather data
- Walk the value stream – see the actual work place
- Follow and make notes about “item” and information flow
- Gather data for each step in the flow such as :
- Actual cycle time
- on time delivery
- Map the flow of items
- Map the flow of information
- Add data and issues
Step 3 – Future State & Action Plans
- Discuss the ideal state
- Develop the future state map
- Develop action plans & cadence tracking
- Build draft time line for implementation
- Communication & training as required
Step 4 – Execute to Plan
- Implement improvements
- Conduct Workshops, events, projects, bursts per implementation plan
- Achieve value stream objectives
- Create an environment of continuous improvement
Step 5 – Align
- Conduct Value Stream Alignment Meeting
- Periodic basis (based on action plan schedule)
- .Review event implementations & results
- The Review impact to value stream metrics (individual events and overall)
- …Review next quarter events
- Review changes in business environment
- Communicate results
- Update value stream as required
- Update implementation plan as required
- Address resistance and sustainment issues
You may like to see??
Like to visit ??